going, growing. cooking, looking.

going.

It feels as if I haven't stopped "going" for about the past month and half. Or two. Or whole summer. School and work and friend/family events have kept my days and nights packed. Some highlights? 

Well, I am happy to announce I was officially accepted into thesis... literally, I am still freaking out about this being the last year of what has been a roller coaster of a program. After a whole summer of putting together a portfolio filled with a year and a half's worth of work, submitting and hearing back in less than 24 hours, just three days before the start of classes.... I was accepted. Excited? Sad? Relieved? Stressed? I'm not sure. But it's a reality now. Prayers appreciated for a successful project! It has already been a wonderful start to the school year.

Alsoooooooo, I celebrated my 21st birthday. Strange to actually write that out in past tense! You know when you're 10 and you feel like you'll never be a "teenager" and reach the glorious age of 13? And then you're 13 and feel like you'll never be 16 and finallyyyyy be able to drive? And then you're 16 and ALL you want is to be 18 and be an official "adult"? And thennn, once you're 18 you could care less about 19 or 20 and all you want is to be the much desired 21? And after reaching every single one of those ages you don't feel any different? Well, turning 21 is exactly the same. Except for this, I'm not quite sure what age to look forward to now!

As for work, things have been going well. Keeping busy with business portraits and family shoots. This week, however, I am getting ready to go through and edit a few hundred kindergarten through eighth grade students. Yep... There will be many hair whisps removed, shirt stains cloned over, and acne healed away in my future. Ahh... coffee, coffee, and more coffee. 

I contemplated what I'd choose for my last highlight, but honestly it's just everything else in between. Every sunset, sunrise, coffee date, road trip, beach day, pool day, dinner out, dinner in, night on the town, morning in the studio, every picture taken, every bible verse highlighted, every movie watched and every meal cooked....... every moment has been such a great part of what I'd say has been a wonderful end to a wonderful summer.


growing.

For my birthday, my sweet husband and I spent the weekend (and labor day!) at the the Post Card Inn on St. Pete beach. Here's a few photo favorites! Honestly, it was a great place and I'd recommend anyone and everyone to go.

















cooking.

I'll start off by sharing a few new cookbooks I received recently.

The first is the Kinfolk Table. This book, put together by the owners of Kinfolk Magazine (a quarterly magazine on simple living, whose summer issue no. 12 I have much enjoyed), organizes its recipes by place. With each recipe there is also given descriptive essays on the men and women who contributed, as well as stunning real life photos of their live and work views.

The other cook book I have enjoyed is Gwyneth Paltrow's It's All Good. This cook book focuses on eating healthy organic real whole foods. Not to mention the recipes are quick and easy for day to day meals! And it covers everything from breakfast to dinner, and from sweets to juicing. (You can find it at Target!)

This past week I made Paltrow's Flourless Anything Crumble. Super easy and super quick! Especially great for those times when you have a bit too many containers of berries in the fridge and they're starting to get mushy...

My adapted recipe:

ingredients
2 cups of strawberries and berries (or other fruit)
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 sliced almonds
1/2 oatmeal
pinch of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F

Mix the fruit, two tablespoons of the maple syrup and lemon juice together and put directly into a shallow baking pan. In a separate bowl mix together the almond meal, almonds, oatmeal, salt and cinnamon. Add the other two tablespoons of maple syrup and olive oil. Mix together until it reaches a crumbly consistency, and then pour over the fruit. Bake until the top is slightly browned. About 20 minutes. (I served it with vanilla ice cream!)


looking.

Before I go, I wanted to share a few photos from the art district in downtown St. Pete. Part of my thesis research has brought me to a further study of the correlation and connection between city and neighborhood alleyways and local art. In this research I was immediately drawn to the blocks of murals along the alley behind north buildings on Central Ave.











Also, a special shout out to the beautiful mural by Derek Donelly in honor of one of  my husband and I's favorite local artists. We miss you Woo! And we are proud to own your artwork. 




Comments

Popular Posts